December 11, 2010

2010 is the year (9)

34987_427135777200_556607200_5140811_2313523_n

2010 is the year, I gained quite a bit from volunteering experiences.

Volunteering is an annual thing to me since high school.Apart from fulfilling the course requirement, I feel more engaged to the society that way through contributing to the community that I’m living.

I had very special volunteering experiences this year, they ranged from front desk task to hands on farming experience. The latter experience seriously exposed me to the brutal in farming especially under harsh conditions. Although my ears and hands seemed to be detaching from my body after so many hours of farming, I never failed to learn more about urban farming, specifically rooftop garden. I’ve never thought of the possibility of establishing a small farm in a limited space and it manages to benefit more people by distributing the food to non-profitable local community to help more needy children and women. I feel inspired in how we can connect people through food and help them by providing them the basic needs in life.

Also, never in my life had I seen so many long and fat earthworms slithering in the soil before and I felt like they were dancing in front of me, the evil soil destructor who did that to weed out the plastic mulch.I felt gross on the first day and tried to avoid these little creatures as much as I could. Then, my brain system activated itself to adapt the image of these big fat earthworms until I got used to it immediately.On the third day, I scooped them to another uninterrupted soil space to prevent from chopping them into pieces before I weed, instead of avoiding them.

Practical learning is always fun and inspiring, and I love myself in understanding the priceless significance of taking and giving back to the society, in which giving is the root of all society love and care.

“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give” -Winston Churchill