April 26, 2010

Microwaveable plastic containers

Okay, so I’m in the midst of studying Chem and continuously being miserable about the spectrometry, I’ll just nail it before I sleep.

No, I wonder if I would hit the sack tonight.

Anyway, I’m just going out of the box and thought of this question suddenly, which is something I’ve always wanted to convince people from getting rid of this bad habit.

How many of you like to microwave food by using PLASTIC container?

I seriously dislike the idea of microwaving food using plastic containers because it just goes against with what I’ve been learning all the time- PLASTIC will distort under high temperature due to melting. So, how can a plastic container be microwaveable when its chemical and physical properties are not obeying that? I dislike the idea to the extent that I’d discourage my housemates to do it whenever I see it and lend my plate to them. It's just like how I'd discourage them to put laptop on their laps, because it’s just a bad habit that can be changed.

*Guys, you can stop reading from here onwards if you find it offensive and crappy.*

Plastic is still plastic, if it’s that heat resistant then people wouldn’t spend a higher price to buy clay plates and mugs. I know I’m being a skeptic here, a skeptic who’ll never trust plastic containers which are so called microwaveable, but at the same time I hope you guys understand the health risks of using plastic-made plates/containers in microwave.

Even if it doesn't melt, I always get a bad feeling that some toxins are being released when you put a plastic material into microwave, and it might leak into the food. I just can't see it with my naked eyes, but who knows it might just be within the food.

Feel free to watch this if you're interested.
http://v.youku.com/v_playlist/f4016033o1p150.html
It talks about various types of plastic materials and their safety.

Of course, the best way to heat up food is still by heating it up on the stove, but I don’t do that all the time too. That's why I strongly encourage everyone to find a safer alternative to place food when using microwave.

*p/s: Something I like about 女人我最大 is that it doesn’t just brush up your make-up skills and fashion sense, it can be quite informative sometimes.*

So, be smart and stay healthy everyone.Tata! ^.^