November 07, 2010

Foods for thoughts

34987_427135777200_556607200_5140811_2313523_n

Leading a healthy lifestyle doesn’t really require high expenditure and a dull menu all the time, as we can play around with the fresh food resources so long that we have the passion to begin with. Therefore, I started making my own smoothie a few days ago and absolutely fell in love with it. Banana, baby carrots, milk and some ice cubes are all that I need and a cup of banana and carrot smoothie is ready to go in 5 minutes once everything is blended together. I tried halving the milk and replaced it by strawberry yoghurt on my next attempt and it tasted good too, so just go ahead inventing your own recipe until you find the combination that you like. It’s like a morning energy boost to me since my stomach feels absolutely satisfied after drinking a cup of it.

Despite of the program that I’m enrolling in university, I’m not an arrogant person when it comes to giving some food recommendations from a nutritional point of view. I seldom bring food issues to the table simply because I think everybody is responsible of their own dietary style. If you are health conscious, then you would want to know more about the proper foods to be consumed to lead you to a healthy lifestyle without needing anyone to motivate you to do so. If you’re simply not a person in that group, then there’s nothing I can say to give you that push to join in the line, because you will most probably ignore it no matter how much time I spend to persuade you. Also, I don’t want to upset myself by listening to how some people prioritize their food preference and neglect everything else, especially the environment. To me,they will only start to realize the real problems embedded within the entire food system when some real disastrous outbreaks kick in, which is quite disappointing when I come to think about it. That’s why I only give my two cents when people are genuinely interested in food issues so that we can work on it together in hope to raise public awareness based on pure scientific evidences.

Anyway I’m currently working on a food project about rooftop garden and I’m doing 12 hours of gardening as my community service learning. I’ve done 8 hours of farming at 2 different urban gardens so far and the take-home message is

“FARMING IS REALLY TOUGH, SO PLEASE APPRECIATE YOUR FOODS!!!!!”*10 fingers pointing at myself*

I will cherish my food more from now on and do my best to no waste food in future.