April 29, 2008

Sunway College students are all rich kids?

I have confronted a very interesting question while I work as a freelancer this month.Despite,this is not something new to me because there are people who ask me such a question since the day I enrolled in Sunway College last year, I still find it an interesting scene when every new friend comes out with the perception that Sunway University College students are all rich kids.




Friend A: Hey, what college are you currently studying?
Me: Oh, I've completed my pre-u studies last year at Sunway College.
Friend A: Wah... then you must be a rich kid, then don't need to work also can lah!
Me: Hmmm, but I don't get pocket money if I don't work.
Friend A: Haiya, just need to ask your parents to give you, then it should be okay already.
Me:......
Friend A: You got scholarship or your family is paying for you?
Me: I got partial scholarship and the rest was paid by my parents.



Being a former Sunway student, I can assure you that not all Sunway students come from filthy rich families, and this is definitely a fact I realised after mixing up with other students and classmates. There are those who come from middle-income earners or even financially disabled ones, but they choose Sunway College due to the comfortable study environment and efficient teaching methods. Just like other colleges, Sunway College shows their concern and generosity by offering scholarships and some other financial aids to their students, which makes it an attainable choice to study over there. Even if you don't obtain full A's in SPM, you will still be offered a partial scholarship to minimize the annual tuition fee.

Sometimes I'm doubtful on the idea, why can't Sunway students work to earn extra pocket money, it's definitely a better way to gain money than showing up their hands always to get money from their parents, without knowing how hard the source of their spending come from. Even if they are rich, what's wrong with they work to get what they want with their own money, besides utilizing their holiday time to gain some experience and exposure? In addition,working part-time is not a big deal for peers at our age.


"Furthermore, rich kids cannot work one meh?"

Sorry, but I'm yet to be that pampered to shake legs at home and ain't doing something contributive for the entire long period of my free days.



Rich kids still have to get out out the comfy zone and start devoting themselves into the working field after completing their tertiary education, so working part-time is just an early exposure for them to get used to the workload as well as working hours which they're going to experience it permanently in future.

All in all, there'll be rich kids everywhere, not all centered in just one place.
Therefore, I just hope that this will correct the perception of those out there who still think Sunway College is an institution which gathers a bunch of rich kids, trust me, because I've experienced it and that's why I'm emerging it out.With brilliant academic performance, one can easily be studying at Sunway with full waiver on tuition fees as well.

Furthermore,be it rich kids or poor kids, will still end up working someday, don't self-create a border to distinguish students based on their family's wealthiness, the chunks of money don't fall from the sky easily, there must be some tough stories behind their parents as well.

Forget about that, everyone will have to work for their desires and demands.

And therefore I, am still happy to work as a part-timer and receive self-income, while reminiscing my past experience at Sunway College.

No comments:

Post a Comment