June 24, 2009

Unintended visit to Baiyoke Sky Hotel

Prior to this trip, I promised myself to step on Siroco Sky Bar at the Lebua State Tower with Susie during this trip. There’s obvious reason for me to adore this place after looking at this picture below:


Source:www.myinterestingfiles.com

Sirocco Sky Bar is a rooftop bar and it has been rated for numerous times as the best rooftop bar in the world. At Sirocco, not only do you get a sip of cocktail but also the amazing nightview of Bangkok. Well, forget about the overpriced cocktail, it’s the night view that attracts me the most IF the picture above is not deceiving.

So Susie and I, both dressed up nicely and fully prepared, went out with high anticipation to this last place of our Bangkok stay for a drink.

We asked a few taxi drivers to take us there, showing them the name and address of the bar. But they were either scratching their heads or asking us back in return. Of course, I already had a bad feeling after asking the first driver since I expected it to be a well-known place, ranked 19th on TripAdvisor, no??? How come no one knows the way to go there?

That was where the anticipation started to smash on the ice-cube. Really. It was that disappointing.

Then we met a TukTuk driver who told us that he knew the place, and so we trusted him with no other choices available.

To our horror, he dropped us off at the Baiyoke Sky Hotel which was just 5-minute walking distance from our hotel. At that moment, I really thought we were ripped off since that was a place we passed by everyday during our shopping hours, I wouldn’t be so stupid to recognise the wrong place.

It was when we asked the bellboy at Baiyoke Sky Hotel to 'rescue us from misery'. He showed us the map and told us that it’s AN HOUR OF DRIVING from Pratunam. Don’t blame me for not pre-research in the first place, because I did and based on GoogleMap, the distance is only 4-6 K.M from Pratunam, how could it take 1 hour to right??


Feeling really disappointed, we found this place-Baiyoke Sky Hotel, the tallest hotel in Bangkok. There is a package that costs 250 Baht for a drink and popcorn at the bar+ entrance to the 360° observation desk & Sky walk.



Obviously, the package was a YES from me. So there comes our sudden switch of plan.
Knowing that we have a place to putter a good night,my heart felt better. At least we didn’t have to head back to the hotel and sleep early.

Speaking about the place,the revolving desk was fantastic. It was an open-aired area and the neon lights changed colours throughout the night. We could fully enjoy the wind while scrutinizing the Bangkok night view.

We crapped, we took photos, we said goodbye to Bangkok.

We went to the bar after getting tired of our lame jokes. The bar was another amazing place to be. It was quiet and there were singers performing on the stage with a series of popular songs. It was a moment of silence between Susie and I, because we both knew we needed some time to be carried away from the busy lifestyle of ours, and then drown into the heart-melting voices of these singers.

That’s why they say, “Silence is gold”, although it only applies to me occasionally.


I looked at the night view outside, the lights and buildings, thinking of the reality we're going to face, in 2 months time.Both of us are getting apart with each other soon, one in Paris, another one in Vancouver, that’s why we both understand the significance of this trip. Trying to dilute my pessimistic thought, I did make every second of my time in Bangkok with her happily, crazily and unforgettable. It’s the heart that matters, eventhough we’re distant from each other.

Plus I truly believe that we will meet again some day.=)




Maybe it was fated that I didn’t make it to Sirocco, and went to Baiyoke in the end. But good things happen with the right bunch of people staying beside you after a big disappointment, and I've experienced that. It was still a very comfortable night to wrap up our trip.

I sincerely thank Susie for this trip, every bit of it was a treasure to me, *including the tiger show?* Oppsie. But thank you for making it happen.

Although I will wonder, ‘When will our next trip be?’

No comments:

Post a Comment