July 01, 2009

Good days spent with books

My reading mood is back so I shall not waste this opportunity.

This is what I'm reading now:

Mitch Albom -'The Five People You Meet In Heaven'



I've never restricted my reading range, it is just that only a few books have the magic to lure me into their world. That is why I never self-claimed that I'm a book lover and mention reading as my hobby, because it is difficult to tell when am I going to do so, and finishing a book itself is a difficult task if I were not interested in that book.

This is the book that has the magic. It's the type that I would want to read it everyday, digesting the meaning of it before proceeding to the next chapter. It makes me think and I sincerely enjoy the feeling to figure out things solely and feeling good about it at the end of the day.

My favourite quotes so far are:

'No life is a waste. The only time we waste is the time we spend thinking we are alone.


'The human spirit knows, deep down, that all lives intersect. That death doesn’t just take someone, it misses someone else, and in the small distance between being taken and being missed, lives are changed. '
'


To me, it has the same effect as ' Little Prince' by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. I shall share a few of my favourite quotes in 'Little Prince' to give you an idea about this book.

"Here is my secret. It is very simple: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. "

"Grown-ups like numbers. When you tell them about a new friend, they never ask questions about what really matters. They never ask: "What does his voice sound like?" "What games does he like best?" "Does he collect butterflies?". They ask: "How old is he?" "How many brothers does he have?" "How much does he weigh?" "How much money does his father make?" Only then do they think they know him. "

"Men occupy very little space on Earth. If the two billion inhabitants of the globe were to stand close together, as they might for some public event, they would easily fit into a city block that was twenty miles long and twenty miles wide. You could crowd all humanity onto the smallest Pacific islet."


"People have stars, but they aren't the same. For travelers, the stars are guides. For other people, they're nothing but tiny lights. And for still others, for scholars, they're problems. For my businessman, they were gold. But all those stars are silent stars. You, though, you'll have stars like nobody else."



"Here then is the great mystery. For you who also love the little prince, and for me, nothing in the universe can be the same if somewhere, we do not know where, a sheep we that never saw has --yes or no?eaten a rose? Look up at the sky. Ask yourselves: Is it yes or no? Has the sheep eaten the flower? And you will see how everything changes& And no grown-up will ever understand that this is a matter of so much importance!"

Reading good books are like knowing great minds in the world. We don't rely on their great stories to live, but once we are exposed to them, we start to see the different angles of their views, and thank them for sharing all these to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment