October 17, 2010

良药苦口

So after struggling with myself for 1.5 months, I finally gave in and visited doctor last week to cure my illness. I was very nervous before seeing the doctor since it was my first time turning to a traditional Chinese practitioner. I’m just not convinced that pills may help to improve my appetite in this case.

The first thing the doctor did was to check on my pulse before asking me anything. He continued asking me about a few symptoms to have better understanding on my health condition. Then, he told me something I've never expected to have happened to me.He said, my appetite was strongly influenced by my emotions. He continued saying that the unstable emotions in me may be due to overly stressing myself or depression since these negative emotions will affect my liver and further influences my appetite. I was speechless for a while because the illness started way before the trough of my life. However, I should be convinced by his professionalism since I came all the way to him just to give it a try.

He got me into thinking what is my actual problem? Although I get my moody and stressed up at times,I never abuse my stomach in such a way before, especially when I’m a person who's studying about food. Since I can't think of a reason, I heed to his advice and tried to free myself from stress as much as possible.

He also gave me 4 packets of Chinese herbs which I had no idea what the ingredients were and asked me to drink it twice a day for 4 days. I’ve been drinking it for 3 days so far and it definitely tastes awful, so awful that the scent of kills and spreads around the whole unit up to 3rd floor.

Even the appearance itself looks unpleasant.

34987_427135777200_556607200_5140811_2313523_n


At the same time, I’m also consuming Antacid-Calcium supplement my friend got me. I don’t know which method actually works but I eventually find myself better at adapting slightly-oily and tasty food again. Thank God I could at least have a fine dining on my birthday without feeling unwell.

34987_427135777200_556607200_5140811_2313523_n

Don’t worry my friends, I will do my best to eat more and more to compensate with the nutrient loss.