December 11, 2009

2009 is the year of health

I think my housemate really influences me a lot in terms of my diet because she’s very health conscious and eats healthy food. She can practice a dietary habit with very little dose of coke, junks, and fatty foods because those things are usually out of her healthy list.

Really, I started thinking about my health since last year, when health-related problems occur among my friends. They emphasize to me on the importance of eating healthily because health is irreplaceable and it’s not something that can be bought by money. I somewhat find it true and these words of wisdom hit me hard, because I’m a student who is going to scrutinize on the food products in future, therefore I should start paying more attention on my health before I can convince the others on the best choice for their health. Also, I didn't want to worry my parents on my eating habits, especially my mom because she will become worried if I did not take good care of myself.

Because of them, I revised my dietary plan and tried to be responsible of my own health. Here are the few changes I made since I started second year. Well, I’m not trying to be a health freak here, but I do want to eliminate a few things which I feel I can live without them.

My accomplishments in Semester 1 were:
1. No instant noodle since day 1 of Semester 1. No, not even a sip or a bite, I really did not buy any instant noodle this term, and surprisingly it was not very difficult to resist the temptation because I had only thought of it once.

2. Less than 6 packets of junk foods. Gone were the days when I had a bar of chocolate weekly to satisfy my sweet tooth.

food 2

3. Less than 10 cups of bubble tea. Considering the fact that I used to have bubble tea once a week, I think this is the biggest success in my dietary plan.

4. Eating fast food for not more than twice monthly.

5. Self-invented more recipes to eat at home instead of eat out. More fruits and “greenery” in my meals.

food 3

So far, I find the plan easy to follow because I did not put a complete full stop for some of my favourite foods. Instead, I reduced the portion so that I'm humble to my stomach, meanwhile maintaining my health. Also, I feel so proud of myself for trying out a variety of recipes from Chinese cuisine to Japanese and Korean cuisine (I learnt how to make Bibimbap and fried Udon.)

To me, I feel that there’s a limit to everything, nothing is infinite. My age is not the factor that allows me to stay wild and careless all the time anymore. There'll certainly be a time where we have to be responsible with our actions.

If we found a balance to be satisfied with what we eat, meanwhile we can keep up with our level of fitness, then there’s no harm to make a difference in our dietary plans. Having said that,I still eat out once in a while, or bite on that juicy BIG MAC without feeling guilty. We don’t have to eliminate our favourite foods completely, but eating them considerately is much more approachable and lasting.

I guess I found another new motto this year, “be happy, stay healthy.”

003

Would you?

No comments:

Post a Comment