August 17, 2014

Food Cart Festival

I've long heard about the Food Cart Festival from my friends as well as online sources, and I finally made my way there this year after hearing so much upsides about this event for foodies. Food Cart Festival is an annual summer event in which most of the popular food trucks will gather together in 1 location to serve everybody, so it's very similar to a summer food market to me. I've only known about the Olympic Village location in the past, but this year the organizer sets up another new location in Holland Park, Surrey on every Saturday for the entire August.

Oh well, you wouldn't believe what I saw when I arrived, I my self didn't want to believe it.. For almost 40 minutes of driving, we saw 4-5 food trucks, small crowd and a few Vancity game stalls. The pictures on the website capturing huge crowd and many different food stalls were deceiving,  I expected similar size as the Olympic Village for the Surrey location. Also, they claimed to have 'more than 15 trucks every week from Vancouver' on their official website which was not happening at all.


Albeit a little disappointed with the actual scene, the food was a boom! We tried the all-time-favourite Kaboom box's Venison burger, the meat was so lean and juicy! Felt like this burger suited my liking because the meat was so tender and contained less fat, giving it a tasty mouthfeel. Our friend had the Jalepeno&Cheese Dog by Dougie Dog. Delicious but overpriced, a hot dog for almost $9, you must be kidding me.






Vancity was also giving out some little perks to the attendees, they had free lollipops and game stalls to win free goodies this year.


After filling our stomach with a salty treat, we decided to satisfy our sweet tooth now. Baby and I visited the local handmade ice-cream called Rocky Point Ice Cream. They had some unique flavours available, including Espresso flakes, Chai Spice as well as their Signature Rocky Point Road. I was quite curious about the Espresso flakes, so we had that with Rocky Point Road on a cone. The ice-cream had a heavy Espresso scent and taste, but just too sweet for my palate. Rocky Point Road on the other hand, was nothing too special but a sweet-chocolate-flavoured-ice cream with nuts.




Fried vegetables topped with very unique spices which tasted like Indian Curry.


Thumbs up to the organizer for picking a nice spot to hold the event. Holland Park was a beautifully-renovated park flourishing in the centre of the town. Unfortunately, it seemed like not many people made full use of this huge park as it was so quiet on the day we went there.




The event was meh but we managed to enjoy ourselves out of the good weather and awesome companies. :) Not too bad after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment