November 30, 2013

Spaghetei


I bumped into this new restaurant few months ago, after having dinner at another restaurant on Robson street. I was quite captured by the theme of this restaurant, the white exterior design gave a strong calming feeling  and made it look like a good place for chit-chatting with friends while enjoying the relaxing ambience. J Of course, the Japanese fusion spaghetti was what interests me the most, so much that I decided to give it a full blog post for a detailed introduction.

And I…. finally had the chance to step into this place last week for a quick lunch with my girlfriends.


J Credit to blackangel`s photography.

It didn`t look quite like a spaghetti house to me, it looked more like a café and dessert place instead.




I like how they inject the Japanese creativity by `comictizing` the menu and paper dining mat to make them look more interesting. Honestly, I wouldn`t have looked at the dining mat if it wasn`t because of the cute Ojiisan, as he reminded me so much of Beard Papa, just without the yellow hat.


I ordered the signature dish-meat sauce spaghetti wondering how different would it be from the regular Bolognese spaghetti I use to have. All spaghettis come with a piece of complimentary garlic bread, lol a green one! I think the topping was spinach-garlic spread because it had more vegetable taste to it. Not sure if I was influenced by the colour or my taste bud was just sensitively accurate.


Food-waiting time was decent and all orders came at the same time to avoid the embarrassment of having to wait for each other`s food. My meat sauce spaghetti was quite similar to that of the display picture on the menu, but I was just surprised with the fact that it was served in a mini serving pan. Spaghetti being served on a pan undoubtedly added some yaki soba feel to it.

Despite the great food display, I was not too surprised by the taste of the food. Hmm don`t get me wrong, the food tasted decent but it was just not too significantly different than any other Bolognese spaghetti out there till it could be a signature dish of the restaurant. Meat sauce tasted fine and blended well with the spaghetti, but eating the meat sauce alone was salty.

                       J Credit to blackangel`s photography.


I like my friend`s Barayaki instead, the display successfully created the home dish feeling and I really like the strong onion fragrance of this dish.  J I swear I`m going to replicate this at home with a Korean meat marinade and pan fry the spaghetti with lots of onions.

My dining experience was pleasant as I`m not the type who likes to chit-chat with waiters/waitresses only when necessary and this restaurant was just a place for me. The waiter made sure we were fully informed about the current events and promotions of the restaurant and the waitress who served us smiled all the time , she only approached us once to ask about the dining experience.

The restaurant is still not too busy now but I believe it will definitely be more popular in future. :) Oh you'll get a free trial salad for completing the satisfactory survey, and a free soft drink for sharing pictures about this place on any social-networking website.  Freebies always good eh!

Spaghetei すぱげっ亭 on Urbanspoon

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:55 AM

    Hi ,

    Your first post just appeared on Urbanspoon! Check it out:
    http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/14/1746849/restaurant/Robson-Street-West-End/Spaghetei-Vancouver

    I encourage you to claim your blog, which allows you to add a picture and change some settings. The blog photo shows up next to your posts wherever they appear on Urbanspoon. Here's how to claim:

    - Make sure you're logged into Urbanspoon

    - Go to your blog page on our site: http://www.urbanspoon.com/br/14/12273/Vancouver/Life-is-an-art-without-eraser.html

    - Click "Claim your blog" in the left sidebar

    After you submit it, we may contact you to verify your claim. Check your spam email folder if your claim hasn't gone through in a day or two. You'll also find some interesting badges and widgets on your Urbanspoon blog page - look in the right sidebar.

    If you have any questions, please contact me via email.

    Thanks,
    Greg

    www.urbanspoon.com

    --
    greg(at)urbanspoon(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww now u're a food blogger! Kudos! :DDDD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha just a semi one, I still blog whatever I want :P

      Delete
    2. Haha it's good to make some changes once in a while! ;)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for blogging about us! Have you had a chance to try our desserts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't had the chance to try out the desserts yet, perhaps I shall add that to my list ;)

      Delete