January 25, 2010

Because me and you are different

So, recently I had dinner with some friends, and then we chatted on some topics which I usually would try to avoid. I forgot how did we start it, but the conversation was roughly as below

A= the person B=me

Scenario 1
A: I must, must enter this particular programme.
B: Me too. But even if I don’t, I know I have other options. I guess I’ll be graduating in 2012 since it’s a 4-year programme.
A: Ya, I must graduate in 4 years too, I’m glad I did not fail any courses so far. But you’re much more flexible since you’re not a scholar.Maybe it’ll take you 4.5-5 years to graduate, you can take another semester.
B: (shocked). Oh but I will work harder and hopefully I’ll be able to graduate in 4 years, just don’t want to waste my parents’ money.
A: (continues her whine). Yea, I must work hard and get into this programme too.

Scenario 2:

A: Did you learn about ------ in class?
B: Oh, no I haven heard of it before.
A: How come you don't know about---? I'm pretty sure that it's taught in class.
B: Erm, I guess I'm not there yet.
A: continues ..... (which I smiled all the way)

A then attempted to compare on our knowledge continuously, which lasted for half of the entire dinner session. Frankly, it’s not the first time I’ve been put into similar conversations since I came here, and I’ll usually be the usual me, smile and attempt to reply it in a polite manner, because I don’t want that to pull down my self-esteem, and I don’t want to be harsh.

However, A reminds me again that A and I come from a different world, maybe that’s why I find it better to remain silent while listening to A’s opinion, because the path we took is different, so it’s always good to hear from A and not comment on it.

Comparing intelligence between each other is never a thing that I’d like to do with A, because I know my capability, therefore I never doubt on A’s intelligence based on what A achieved and is offered to. But if you gained the pride from the thought of standing above me-the ordinary one, then it’s not wrong for me to take a step back and shield myself from a fight. In short, I’d rather keep quiet than boast on my academic performance, when it’s nothing for me to be proud of.

I respect your intelligence, I respect your thoughts,and I hope that these two elements will not be the only basis that forms our friendship bond.

Often I see the difference between the others and I, let alone academic performance, but also in terms of thoughts, interests, self-esteem, and confidence level. I’m not a scholar, I know, and that will never be a world of mine because I’m an average kid, and I’ve accepted the fact. I hope you will accept me for who I am and we can become friends.I wouldn't want to draw a line between you and I if you could show me your sincerity in building up our friendships, but not gaining happiness by dancing on my bones and challenging my EQ continuously.My bones will break one day,just so you know.

I’m not really angry, and I wouldn't even want to blog this out if it only happened for once. I’m just continuously being reminded that me and you are different, or maybe, we come from a different world. But what's said is said,I will leave it aside and continue to work harder to reach my target. Meanwhile I hope A, and everyone else will also excel in their academic performance and accomplish their goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment